Do you have a Spectrum cable box at home? Do you want to control your TV’s cable box via Alexa? Do you wish you could tell Alexa to open your cable and perform related commands with your voice? Your wish is granted. Read ahead to know in detail.
What Is Spectrum Cable Box?
Spectrum is one of the brands that manufacturers and provide TV cable boxes. It is the second-largest cable provider in the USA as it keeps its box updated with the latest shows and technology. It is not like the traditional cable boxes that just convert digital TV signals to display content on TV.
It makes use of a digital receiver to make the viewing experience much better than a traditional cable box. You can stream on-demand content just like at any other OTT platform.
Can Alexa Control Spectrum Cable Box?
Yes, Alexa can control the Spectrum cable box. It is one of the features of Spectrum that keeps it ahead of its counterparts. Spectrum is known for adapting to new technology similar to Amazon’s Alexa. There are various voice assistants like Siri, Cortana, or Google Assistant. Still, Alexa is the most preferred voice assistant as it keeps its users excited with its new updates and features.
With Alexa’s new feature, you can connect Alexa to any Tv provider and gets updates related to it. With this feature, you can ask Alexa about the Spectrum TV app. Just ask, “Alexa, what is Spectrum TV app?” and it will list down all its current promotions offers, plans, and current updates.
Alexa is now also made compatible with Spectrum cable box. This means you can control the Spectrum cable box with your voice commands.
Further reading: What Are The Best Alexa-compatible Devices?
How To Connect Alexa With Your TV Using Spectrum Cable Box?
To connect Alexa with Spectrum cable box, you need to fulfill the primary requisites like:
- Alexa app downloaded on a mobile device
- Spectrum TV app downloaded on a mobile device
- Connect Spectrum to your TV
- Third-party devices like RM Mini 3s with plugin IR extenders
Connecting Spectrum To Your TV
To connect your Spectrum cable box to your tv, follow:
- Use an HDMI cable/coaxial cable
Modern-day TVs have HDMI cable input at the back. If not, you can use a coaxial cable for this step.
Use the one end of the HDMI cable and insert it in the HDMI input at the back of the Spectrum cable box. Take another end of HDMI cable and plug it in at the back of the TV where HDMI output is located.
Alternatively, you can use a coaxial cable and do the same. Find the coaxial output at the back of Spectrum cable and box and the other end at the back of the TV.
- Plug the Spectrum cable box with a power outlet
- Turn the Spectrum cable box on using the remote
- Turn the TV on and choose the right HDMI source
- Activate the receiver by calling on 877314-4128
Connecting Alexa With Spectrum Cable Box
You may also like: How to connect Alexa to Smart TV
There are two ways to connect Alexa to Spectrum cable box. These are:
Using RM Mini 3 With Plugin IR Extender
RM mini 3 is a home wi-fi remote control that helps the user control IR-controlled devices like TV, TV cable box, DVD, air conditioners. IR-controlled devices are those that have infrared eye extension. These sensors allow you to control devices by pointing your remote towards them instead of towards the TV. These provide greater range, and you will control your device from a distance.
RM Mini 3 with IR Extender allows controlling the Spectrum cable box simply from your phone using wi-fi. It is a wi-fi universal remote that will enable you to connect your Spectrum cable box with Alexa over wi-fi using a mobile device. These devices are compatible with Alexa making the three connect.
Using Harmony Hub
Another way to connect Alexa to Spectrum cable box is through Harmony Hub. Harmony hub by Logitech is a device to be kept near your television or game console. It acts as universal remote control and controls smart home devices.
It makes use of IR sensors, Bluetooth, and wi-fi to stay connected. To connect Alexa to Spectrum cable box via Harmony Hub, here are the steps to follow:
- Plug the Harmony Hub in the power outlet with the power adapter.
- Wait 30 seconds for the Harmony Hub to power on
- Download the Harmony app on your mobile app
- Launch the app to set up the Harmony Hub
- Connect your mobile to home wi-fi and turn on its Bluetooth
- This will allow mobile and Harmony Hub to connect via Bluetooth
- Now using the Harmony app, create an account and sign in.
- Harmony app will start detecting your existing devices. If not, you can add your new device.
- Add the Spectrum cable box using the Add Device button.
- Follow the on-screen prompts thereafter.
You can now control your Spectrum cable box using the Harmony Hub app (it will act as a universal remote for your cable box as well as the TV).
You can also use the Alexa app and add the Harmony Hub as one of the Alexa-enabled smart devices. Linking Harmony Hub with Alexa is very important to make this arrangement work. To ensure proper linking, make sure:
- Both devices use the same wi-fi network
- Both devices have appropriate account links and sign in
- Harmony hub should be in discoverable mode
Once linked, you can use voice commands like, “Alexa, switch to Spectrum cable,” “Alexa, watch (channel no.) to control Spectrum cable. You can also change the volume, turn on/off the cable box using Alexa.
Alexa can control Spectrum cable box using either RM Mini 3 with IR Extender or Harmony Hub universal remote device.