Beats headphones are exceptionally well made and very reliable, but even still sometimes they, like any electronics, can have problems, and one of the problems we hear about most is that Beats headphones won’t turn on.
Why does this happen, and what can you do about it? That’s just what I’ll cover in this article, with a few things you can try and some basic troubleshooting, all presented in a way that’s clear and easy to understand.
Why Won’t My Beats Headphones Turn On?
Apple’s support pages don’t really talk so much about why Beats headphones won’t power up, but instead they cut right to the chase – that is, their standard spiel is that if you are having problems turning Beats headphones or earbuds on, you should just do a full factory reset, which is a simple process and will definitely solve a wide range of problems around power and charging, sound, connection and more.
There are some basic things you can check first, though. I will talk about them in some detail just below, and you might want to go through the list before you reset.
- But if you do want to reset your Beats it is usually as easy as holding down the power key and the volume down key for 10 seconds, at which point you will see a flashing LED light indicating they have reset successfully.
- You will then need to reconnect your Beats to your phone, PC, tablet, music player or other Bluetooth device, and maybe re-enter some settings in your Beats app.
- But again, before you do a factory reset on your Beats headphones, you might want to look at the section just below for some very simple things to check first.
For more detailed information on factory resetting Beats, please check out our article on How To Reset Beats Headphones
Why Won’t My Beats Earbuds Turn On? Things You Can Try
If your Beats earbuds or headphones aren’t powering up, here are a few simple things you can check:
Are you turning them on correctly?
With wireless headphones you usually can’t just hit the power button and they come on, and Beats are no exception. Usually you need to hold the power button down for at least 1 second until they power up.
Please check out our article on How To Turn On Beats Headphones
Are your Beats charged?
The battery doesn’t need to be fully charged, but if it is too low your Beats headphones won’t turn on, and you will need to charge them before you can use them.
Are your Beats really charging?
Sometimes you can charge your Beats, or any headphones for that matter, for hours and hours, and they still won’t turn on, so you might want to make sure they are actually charging, checking that:
- the charging cable is securely connected on both sides
- the power strip is turned on or the USB port or wall outlet actually has power
- the LED indicator on your Beats changes when you plug them in for charging
- you are charging them long enough – at least 90 minutes for most Beats models, but you can safely leave them plugged in and charging for hours and hours, or overnight, to make sure
Is the charging case also charged?
With some Beats true wireless earbuds, like for example the Studio Buds, the case itself also must be charged, and the buds won’t turn on unless it is
Are you sure they are really not on?
It’s possible that your Beats headphones are actually on, and that you don’t know because there is no sound, so you might want to make sure that:
- the volume of your gadget – PC, phone, tablet, music player, etc – is turned up, and that the music playing software’s volume is also up
- there is something actually playing – music, movie, etc
- your Beats and your gadget are actually paired and actively connected
Please check out our article on How To Pair Beats Headphones
What If This Doesn’t Work?
Some Beats headphones and earbuds are a bit different in how they turn on, so here is a list of some specific Beats models – clicking on these links will take you to an article with more information on why your particular pair of Beats headphones isn’t turning on.
- Beats Flex Earbuds Won’t Turn On: Here’s What You Can Do
- BeatsX Earbuds Won’t Turn On: Here’s What You Can Do
- Beats Solo3 Headphones Won’t Turn On: Here’s What You Can Do
- Beats Solo2 Headphones Won’t Turn On: Here’s What You Can Do
- Beats Solo Pro Headphones Won’t Turn On: Here’s What You Can Do
- Beats Studio3 Headphones Won’t Turn On: Here’s What You Can Do
- Beats Studio Buds Won’t Turn On: Here’s What You Can Do
Unfortunately, if you’ve tried everything in this article, and/or in one of the more specific articles I’ve just listed, and your Beats earbuds or headphones still aren’t turning on, you might have a problem with them and need to service or replace them.
If this is the case, you can either contact the dealer from which you purchased your Beats, or go to the Beats Online Support Page.