Beats Solo2 headphones are exceptionally well made and very reliable, but even still sometimes they, like any electronics, can have problems, and one of the problems we hear about most is that Beats headphones won’t turn on.
Why does this happen, and what can you do about it? That’s just what I’ll cover in this article, with a few things you can try and some basic troubleshooting, all presented in a way that’s clear and easy to understand.
Why Won’t My Beats Solo 2 Headphones Turn On?
Apple’s support pages don’t really talk so much about why your Beats Solo2 headphones won’t power up, but instead they cut right to the chase – that is, their standard spiel is that if you are having problems turning Solo2 headphones on, you should just do a full factory reset, which is a simple process and will definitely solve a wide range of problems around power and charging, sound, connection and more.
There are some basic things you can check first, though. I will talk about them in some detail just below, and you might want to go through the list before you reset.
But if you do want to reset your Beats Solo 2, make sure they are not plugged in to the USB charging cable, and then you simply:
- press and hold down the Power Button and Volume Down Button at the same time for at least 10 seconds
- You will see the “fuel gauge” LED indicator lights flash in a specific way – all 5 LEDs will blink white and then just 1 will blink red, and this will happen 3 times. When they have stopped flashing you know that the factory reset was successful, and you can then see if the problem is resolved.
- You will then need to reconnect your Beats to your phone, PC, tablet, music player or other Bluetooth device, and maybe re-enter some settings in your Beats app.
But again, before you do a factory reset on your Beats Solo 2 headphones, you might want to look at the section just below for some very simple things to check first.
For more detailed information on factory resetting your Solo 2, please check out our article on How To Reset Beats Solo2 Headphones
Why Won’t My Beats Solo2 Earbuds Turn On? Things You Can Try
If your Beats Solo2 headphones aren’t powering up you might want to do some simple troubleshooting, so here are a few easy things you can check:
Are you turning them on correctly?
With wireless headphones you usually can’t just hit the power button and they come on, and Beats Solo2 are no exception – you need to hold the power button down for at least 1 second until they power up.
For more detailed information, please check out our article on How To Turn On Beats Headphones
Are your Solo 2 charged?
The battery doesn’t need to be fully charged, but if it is too low your Beats Solo2 headphones won’t turn on, and you will need to charge them before you can use them.
Are your Beats really charging?
Sometimes you can charge your Solo2, or any headphones for that matter, for hours and hours, and they still won’t turn on, so you might want to make sure they are actually charging, checking that:
- the charging cable is securely connected on both sides
- the power strip is turned on or the USB port or wall outlet actually has power
- the LED indicator on your Beats changes when you plug them in for charging – with Solo2 headphones, the 5 fuel gauge lights will flash when they are charging, and all of them should remain on when the headphones are fully charged
- you are charging them long enough – Beats Solo2 headphones need 2 hours for a full charge, but you can safely leave them plugged in and charging for hours and hours, or overnight, to make sure
Are you sure they are really not on?
It’s possible that your Solo 2 headphones are actually on, and that you don’t know because there is no sound, so you might want to make sure that:
- the volume of your gadget – PC, phone, tablet, music player, etc – is turned up, and that the music playing software’s volume is also up
- there is something actually playing – music, movie, etc
- your Beats and your gadget are actually paired and actively connected
Please check out our article on How To Pair Beats Headphones
What If This Doesn’t Work?
If you’ve tried everything in the section just above and your Beats Solo2 headphones still aren’t turning on, you should definitely try the full factory reset, as mentioned earlier.
If that also doesn’t work, unfortunately your headphones might have a problem and you’ll need to service or replace them.
If this is the case, you can either contact the dealer from which you purchased your Beats, or go to the Beats Online Support Page.
And finally, if you’ve arrived at this article, but you actually have a different pair of Beats headphones – that is, not Beats Solo2, but a different model – you can go to our more general article: How To Turn On Beats Headphones: A Simple Guide.