Wi-Fi helps Alexa and its devices do their best at everything they can do. But Alexa is still useful even if you don’t have Wi-Fi. It can still work without Wi-Fi. But you should know that some important things will be lost. So, you can still use Alexa offline if you want to use some of its main, most important features. This article tells you about Alexa’s offline mode and shows you how to turn it on. Check out what you can do with Alexa when you don’t have Wi-Fi.
- Meet Echo Dot - Our most compact smart speaker that fits perfectly into small spaces.
- Improved speaker quality - Better speaker quality than Echo Dot Gen 2 for richer and louder sound. Pair with a second Echo Dot for stereo...
- Voice control your music - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home...
- Voice control your smart home - Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices. Create routines...
Further reading: How To Connect Alexa To University Wi-Fi
What can Alexa do offline?
In offline mode, Alexa can do five things:
Play music just like a Bluetooth speaker
Even if you don’t have Wi-Fi, Alexa can still connect to your phone through Bluetooth. You can now play your favorite songs on your phone because of this. You can download songs to listen to when you’re not online and use Alexa as a music speaker. But you can’t do this if you want to listen to music when you’re not online.
Set alarms and reminders
Quite a surprise, right? In offline mode, Alexa lets you set alarms and other reminders. This function still works even when you are not online. So, if you set the alarm ahead of time, you can still use the data you saved when you’re not online. The network is not needed for the alarm and planning features.
Hook up and control smart home devices
If you’ve connected Alexa to smart home devices, you can still control them even if your Wi-Fi isn’t working. But this can’t happen if the smart device in the house needs Wi-Fi to work. When Bluetooth devices are offline, they don’t matter.
Getting calls and texts
Alexa can sync your contacts with the app, so even when you’re not online, you can still make voice calls. But if you want to use apps like Messenger or Viber to call,… It can’t happen.
Set up volume
You can tell Alexa to turn up or turn down the volume by using the phone device. This is a voice command that has already been set up. It doesn’t need Wi-Fi. You can also ask Alexa what you can do when you’re not online.
What Alexa can’t do when it’s offline
Alexa is limited in many ways when it comes to mining information over the network. The voice assistant also can’t work when you’re not connected to the internet. You can talk about some Alexa features that don’t work when you’re not online:
- Use news, weather, traffic, sports, and other information, or ask questions about it.
- Use apps like Spotify, YouTube, and Amazon Music to listen to music online.
- Games, online shopping, AskMyBuddy,… are just a few of the features.
- Orders about reserving tables, ordering food, and placing orders on apps
- Apps like Messenger, Instagram, Viber, and Telegram let you call and message people online.
- Voice commands
- Use Wi-Fi to connect to devices
You may also like: Can Alexa Work Without Internet?
Can Alexa work offline?
Alexa can work even when you’re not online, and it can do a lot more than that. You really want to know what Alexa tasks can be done without Wi-Fi, don’t you?
The voice assistant is an important feature that can’t work when you’re not online. Voice assistant is based on AI technology, which is the most advanced type available right now. Alexa works by recording the user’s voice and sending it to the Amazon server center. Based on cloud storage, the Amazon server center analyzes the voice and sends feedback to Alexa in response to the user’s request. The voice assistant on Alexa can’t work because the data isn’t stored locally in an offline format.
Alexa’s offline mode works with Bluetooth and the data already on the phone. At this point, your smart speaker can either work as a Bluetooth speaker or use the phone’s mobile data.
How to use smart home devices with Alexa in offline mode
You can use Bluetooth to connect your phone to the smart speaker and turn on Alexa’s offline mode. Specifically, you can still listen to online music, podcasts, radio stations, and audiobooks if your smartphone has mobile data that can connect to a network.
But if you don’t have access to the internet, you can just use the smart speaker as a Bluetooth speaker to play music from your phone.
Alexa’s offline mode can use locally stored data to do things like turn up or down the volume, pause, skip, skip, or resume music. On Alexa’s offline mode, you can also set an alarm or a schedule if you want to. But you won’t be able to check the weather, set new alarms or reminders, or listen to music.
How do I get Alexa online again?
Try the following to get Alexa online again:
Make sure the power is on.
Make sure that your smart speaker is properly plugged in. If not, you may need to change the plug or socket or check the power source in your home. To see if the speaker is on, you can look at the LED on it.
Turn the thing back on.
This is easy to use and does the job. All you have to do to get your smart speaker with Alexa back on the network is turn it off and turn it back on.
Bring the device closer to the Wi-Fi hotspot
The offline status can sometimes be caused by a weak Wi-Fi connection. You can check the Wi-Fi router or move the Alexa device closer to the router to fix this.
Make sure you connect to the right Wi-Fi network.
Alexa won’t be able to respond if your phone and it use different kinds of Wi-Fi networks.
Change the software for Alexa
Alexa will sometimes update itself to the latest version on its own. But sometimes problems with Wi-Fi connections are caused by bugs in the software. You can also check the version of your software if you need to.
Restart your phone’s Alexa app
- First, go to the Settings menu and restart the Alexa app.
- Then start the app again.
- Check to see if this fixes the offline issue.
Change information about your Wi-Fi network
If you just changed the name or password for your Wi-Fi network, Echo will also show up as offline in the Alexa app. Change this and see if the problem goes away.
Put the Echo back to its original settings
After you’ve tried the above steps and the Alexa app still doesn’t show that the Echo device is online, you can try the next step. The best thing to do is to set the Echo back to its original settings.
But if you choose this option, you’ll have to link it to your Amazon account and re-enter the device settings into the Alexa app before you can use it.
Why Alexa only works when connected to Wi-Fi
Alexa is a device from Amazon that only works with Wi-Fi to connect to Google and different music-streaming services. If you don’t have Wi-Fi, you can’t connect to these apps and features. If you want to get the most out of your Amazon Alexa device, you’ll need a Wi-Fi connection or hotspot to get started and use everything it has to offer.
Can Alexa be used as an alarm without WiFi?
Even without WiFi, Alexa’s alarm will still go off.
Alexa can only be used to set an alarm if it is connected to WiFi.
This feature would be helpful if you set your alarm before going to sleep and then lost power or your WiFi connection during the night. Your alarm would still go off at the time you set it for.
Does Alexa’s voice control for local devices work without WiFi?
As we’ve already said, Alexa devices use Natural Language Processing to fully understand what people say, which needs a WiFi or cellular data connection to work.
Local Voice Control, on the other hand, does not require an internet connection. It is a feature on some Echo devices that is powered by a built-in Zigbee hub and lets them do certain things without an active internet connection.
For example, some Echo Plus and Echo Show devices can still control smart home appliances, set alarms, manage reminders, and show the date and time even when they aren’t connected to WiFi or a mobile data connection.
Remember that the first time you set up Local Voice Control, you’ll need to be connected to the internet.
Will Amazon Alexa work even if there’s no Wi-Fi?
Amazon’s Echo (or Alexa, as it’s more commonly known) has a lot going for it, like the fact that it can give you instant news updates, stream music, and answer any question you have on the spot! Alexa is getting more and more popular every day, but there are other ways to use your Amazon Alexa.
If you don’t have Wi-Fi at home or are going on vacation, you can still use Alexa as a Bluetooth device with a little bit of planning. Alexa can be used without Wi-Fi in two ways:
- Use a mobile hotspot
- Use Bluetooth to hook up Alexa.
How do I link my Echo Dot to my Wi-Fi network?
Open the Alexa app on your phone and tap the Menu button to connect your Echo Dot to Wi-Fi (three lines). Tap “Add New Device,” and then choose the type and model of your Echo Dot. Connect the Echo Dot to a power source and tap Continue in the Alexa app. Follow the on-screen instructions to link the device to your wireless network.
Does Alexa work without the internet?
No. Most of Alexa’s features, like Alexa routines, won’t work if you don’t have internet.
Because Alexa stores data on a platform called “cloud-based,” not “locally-based.” So, if the support request isn’t on the internet, you may need to find another way to get it.
A “routine” for Alexa is a way to get to all the things she can do, which are called “actions.” A routine can do one or more of the following:
- Playing your favorite Spotify playlist at the same time every day
- Keeping your children on time
- Making your house look like someone is there even when you’re not there
- Better at getting up and going to sleep
How do I link my Echo Dot to my Wi-Fi network?
Follow these steps to connect your Echo Dot to Wi-Fi:
- Open the Alexa app on your phone or tablet first.
- Then, click on the Menu button.
- Tap “Add new device,” then choose the type of Echo Dot you have.
- The Echo Dot needs to be plugged into a power source. Then, in the Alexa app, tap Continue.
Follow the instructions on the device’s screen to connect it to your wireless network.
How do I turn an Echo Dot back on?
The easiest way to turn on the Echo dot again is:
- First, pull the plug out of the wall.
- Then, wait some time.
- Lastly, reconnect it.
If you want to reset the Echo dot to factory settings, which is a more drastic step, you need to:
- Open the Alexa app and click on Devices.
- Then pick Echo and Alexa.
- Choose your Echo Dot, then click Factory reset.
How do Amazon Kids on Alexa work?
With Amazon Kids on Alexa, you can customize your kids’ experience and decide what they can see on their devices.
Your child can play games, listen to music, call and text your family and other approved contacts, and get answers or jokes that are appropriate for kids.
All-New Echo Dot (5th Gen, 2023 release) Kids
- ALL-NEW ECHO DOT KIDS – Our most popular and cutest smart speaker with Alexa, made for kids (not a toy). The improved speaker delivers...
- WHERE LEARNING MEETS FUN – Kids can ask Alexa to play music, read a bedtime story, get help with their homework, and more. Stream songs...
- INCLUDES 1 YEAR OF AMAZON KIDS+ – A digital subscription designed for kids aged 3-12 to safely learn, grow, and explore. On Echo Dot, kids...
- EASY-TO-USE PARENTAL CONTROLS – Alexa will automatically give kid-friendly responses and filter explicit songs. You can also set daily...
- FOR GROWING INDEPENDENCE – Kids can help take charge of their routines with Alexa by setting their own alarms, turning off compatible...
So, can Alexa work offline? Sort of. You can access many of her features even without an internet connection, but some functions will be unavailable. If you want to use all of Alexa’s capabilities, you’ll need to be connected to the internet. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use her when your network is down-just know that not all features will be available to you. Thanks for following along with our investigation into Alexa’s offline abilities!