Whether you have a new TV or a new Sonos speaker, you have to set it up before you can use it. The setup is a one-time process, and painless. When you have all the components, follow the instructions in this review, and you will be ready to enjoy your new speakers in no time.
If your Sonos not connecting to the TV, choose from the following setups. We have covered the complete setup process for the following devices
- Normal TV remote with Sonos home theatre speakers
- Samsung one remote and Sonos home theatre speakers
- TV with Sonos Playbar
- LG magic remote and Sonos home theatre speakers
- Apple TV remove with home theatre speakers
- Stream music and more over WiFi, and enjoy...
- Use Bluetooth when you take this waterproof,...
- Experience astonishingly clear and perfectly...
- Get up to 10 hours of continuous play time,...
- Create a multiroom sound system with other...
Normal TV Remote With Sonos Home Theatre Speakers
This guide will instruct you on how to control the volume of a Sonos speaker with a TV remote. If you don’t have a TV remote configured with Sonos, or want to configure a new remote to Sonos, follow these steps. And remember, you can only configure one TV remote to control the Sonos home theatre system at a time.
- Download the Sonos iOS and Android app.
- Open the app and click Settings, next click on System.
- Choose the room where you want to configure the Sonos home theatre.
- Click the TV and go inside the remote control setup.
- The app will open an installation wizard. Follow those steps to set up the remote with the home theatre.
Samsung One Remote And Sonos Home Theatre Speakers
The configuration for Samsung One remote is somewhat complicated because this remote does not have infrared output, like most other remotes. Instead, it uses radio-frequency or Bluetooth to connect to the TV. This is why you might need to configure some additional settings, so the infrared output works with the home theatre.
If you have a Samsung Q series TV, it’s best to keep the Sonos home theatre system within direct line of sight of the TV. Otherwise the remote might not work as expected.
- Open the Home menu from your Samsung TV and go to Sources at the left.
- Choose the Universal Remote If you have not established the set up before, you have to set up the universal remote first.
- Click Start To Begin.
- You have to first set up the remote before you are allowed to add the Sonos home theatre.
- Click New Device to add your device.
- Select Home Theatre System.
- Search Sonos and change the input to – optical.
- At this point, you might have to test if the power source is set up properly. Click the Power Test A pop up will ask for confirmation if it worked. Click Yes and done.
- Return to set up the universal remote setup. If you have any other input device set up, such as a cable box, you can select Use with Home Theatre. Continue doing this for every input device.
Now your Samsung One remote is ready to output infrared, which means it will work with Sonos home theater devices. After this, you also have to finish setting up the configuration of the TV remote with the Sonos speaker.
- Open Settings from the mobile app and select TV.
- Click to open the remote control setup, and follow the instructions.
You may also like: Top 5 Best Universal Remotes for Sonos
TV with Sonos Playbar
- Keep the Playbar where you want to keep it and connect it to the power outlet.
- Plug-in the audio cable to the optical out port of the TV, and the input to the Playbar.
- Set up the Playbar using the Sonos app on your phone. The instructions are pretty similar to what we have already described before.
To set up the Sonos system with Playbar, follow these instructions:
- Open the Sonos app on your phone.
- Click Set Up A New Sonos System.
- Create a Sonos account, or log in if you already have an account.
- Click Set Up Speakers.
- Follow the instructions in the app and you will be able to set up Playbar in no time.
After connecting the Playbar, you have to configure the TV remote to control this device. The instructions are the same as before.
LG Magic Remote And Sonos Home Theatre Speakers
LG Magic remote has the same problem as the Samsung one, the output is not infrared. You need IR output for the remote to control the Sonos speaker. The LG Magic Remote is also controlled by Bluetooth or radiofrequency, so we have to follow the same settings to enable the TV remote infrared output.
- Open Home from LG magic remote and click the Device Connector.
- Click the Soundbar, and choose which port you want to link with the soundbar.
- Select Philips as the manufacturer, anything else works too.
- Put remote type as Remote Type 1, and then click Next.
- Click done.
This will enable the IR output, and now you have to set up the speaker. You can do so by opening the Sonos app and opening the room settings. From TV, remote control setup set up the remote.
After the setup is complete, if you are still having issues, you should try disabling the SIMPLINK from the optical connection. You will find the settings from the Settings, Sound, and Sound out.
Apple TV Remove With Home Theatre Speakers
This is for 4th generation apple remotes. The set up for the Apple TV remote is not the same as other remotes. The Apple TV remote runs by the HDMI CEC technology, which means the remote can automatically select the settings of the TV.
Ultimately, the result is that Apple TV cannot detect the Sonos home speaker through the usual set up of the optical connection. So, this will be a manual set up. But we will follow you all the way.
Keep the Sonos speaker and Apple TV within a direct view of each other. The steps will be different considering which step of the process you are in, which is why we have divided the instructions into 3 types.
New Apple TV And New Sonos Home Speaker
The Apple TV setup will be as instructed by the Apple guide. Once you have completed that, come back and we will finish setting up the remote to control the Sonos home theatre.
Next, follow the same instructions for setting up the Playbar as we have said in this guide. This will allow you to control the Apple TV remote with Sonos.
Also, remember to disable your TV speakers following this guide.
New Apple TV, Existing Sonos Speaker
- Open your Sonos app from your phone, and select the Settings.
- Open System.
- Select the room you have existing Sonos set up in.
- Click the Remote Control Setup, and then follow the instructions which will allow you to set up the Apple TV remote.
New Sonos Home Theatre, Existing Apple TV
When you control the volume of your TV with the remote, you will see that it is not controlling the home theatre. This is because even if the TV speakers have been disabled, the TV still gets the instructions from the Apple TV remote to adjust the volume. To bypass this, you need to configure Apple TV with a different IR remote.
If you have an old remote you don’t use anymore, or a remote which is used for a different TV, we will set up the Apple TV remote in a way, that it will send commands to this IR enabled remote. In turn, this remote will send commands to the TV. This will allow you to control the home theatre with the Apple TV remote.
Follow these steps on your Apple TV:
- Open Settings, and go inside Remotes and Devices.
- Open the Control TVs and Receivers Settings and turn it off.
- Open Volume Control from Remotes and Devices, and set the TV via IR option.
- Click Learn New Device, and follow the instructions for Apple TV remote to send codes to the second TV remote.
- Next, open Sonos app on your phone.
- Open Settings And Systems.
- Click the Home Theatre Room And Remote Control Setup.
- Set up the Apple TV remote following the in-app instructions. Now, this remote will work when you need to adjust your home theatre speaker.
For Dolby Digital TVs, you should enable the setting for Dolby to surround the system. Only then you will get the full surround sound experience.
- Open Settings, and then go inside audio and video.
- Click Audio Output.
- Select Dolby Surround as audio output.
Remember that, due to this setup, if you are using the Sonos home theatre to listen to music while the TV is off, adjusting volume with an Apple TV remote could turn on the TV.
If you do not have a Sonos speaker, you can go to Amazon to choose for yourself the most suitable Sonos speaker