Sonos has an exclusive range of speakers. Whether you are looking for something to fit into compact spaces, or something big enough to hold your TV, you can get the perfect speaker for your style.
- Stream music and more over WiFi, and enjoy easy control with the Sonos app, Apple AirPlay 2, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
- Use Bluetooth when you take this waterproof, lightweight, and durable speaker on the go.
- Experience astonishingly clear and perfectly balanced sound with automatic Trueplay tuning.
- Get up to 10 hours of continuous play time, and recharge with the included USB-C cable and any 7.5W (5V / 1.5A or 2.1A) or higher USB power...
- Create a multiroom sound system with other Sonos speakers and enjoy music, TV, and more all around your home.
If you are wondering how to connect Sonos to WiFi without an Ethernet cable, let us tell you – it is very easy.
All Sonos speakers use the same app, so you don’t need to learn this every time. We have created this handy guide to show you how to set up the latest speakers in Sonos collection.
From setting up, plugging in, to connecting it to Wi-Fi, this guide on how to connect Sonos to WiFi covers the complete journey.
What Devices Are Covered In This Guide?
Here is a list of devices that we will be talking about:
Perfect for tight spots. If you have a small workspace or shelf, put it anywhere with zero difficulties. You can even set it up in the washroom because the device has high immunity to humidity. It comes with a built-in Google Assistant and Alexa. You can control it with command and do everything you want to with your voice-controlled devices.
This is a smart speaker. It runs by a battery and is extremely well-crafted. Whether you are having a party in the backyard, or want to blast inside the house, you can use it. If you don’t have Wi-Fi, it even connects to Bluetooth.
Play 1 – Has all the features of Sonos one.
Play 3 – This speaker is bigger than Plus 3, but one of the most adaptable speakers.
Play 5 – This speaker comes with subwoofers, for when you need the extra bass.
Built for use with Smart TVs. You can do much more with it. Create alarms, and watch the news, with built-in Alexa and Google Assistant. You can do all of this hands-free.
Playbar – Perfect for TV
Playbase soundbar – Stream music from Android or Apple phones in perfect sync.
The setup process for these devices is pretty identical and one-time. So, don’t freak out while reading the guideline.
How To Set Up Sonos
Follow these steps to set up your speaker, soundbar, and subwoofer, and perform basic Sonos troubleshooting.
The speaker needs to be kept close to the Wi-Fi. It should get a good signal from the router, so ensure you select a place within direct visibility to get a decent signal strength. You can check how strong the signal is by bringing your phone to where the Sonos speaker is.
If your phone is getting a strong signal at this place from your Wi-Fi router, the Sonos speaker will also get a good signal strength.
If you don’t have the Sonos controller app yet, download it here.
Step 1: Plug It In And Check The Green LED Light
Take your power cable, and put them at the end of the cable to the speaker, and plug to the power outlet. If you are using the Sonos Move, then you need to plug the device to the charging base instead of the power outlet.
If you have done this correctly, then the LED on the top of the Sonos speaker will be green. This is your signal that the speaker is ready to be set up. Depending on what device you are using, the go LED will be at different places. The Sonos Play speaker has it at the top. The Sonos One and Move have it just above the Play button. Sonos Play has it over the Sonos logo.
If you have completed this step, only then proceed to the next step. If the flashing green light is not working, check the power cable and outlet to make sure they are in working order.
Set Up The Subwoofer
The Sonos Subwoofer is an integral part of the Sonos speaker. If you are using a speaker that is using the subwoofer, you need to set it up properly. This step is not applicable for Sonos Move, connect, and port. Remember to set up your speaker before you add the subwoofer.
Tip: This sub has powerful magnets, so remember to not keep them beside equipment that gets influenced by magnets. It could end up damaging this equipment.
To set up the subwoofer, follow these steps –
- If you have not unpacked the subwoofer, then use the edge of the acoustic slot to get it out of the packing box.
- Place this subwoofer lying down or up, so you have access to the acoustic slot without any issues.
- Get the plug that comes inside by box, and add it to the power slot.
Step 2: Connect to the Sonos App
The first step to follow while connecting the Sonos app is to download the controller app. You can find this in the app store for iOS or google play store for Android.
- Once the controller app has been installed on your phone, open it.
- The Sonos screen will show you two options. If you are setting the Sonos app for the first time, select ‘Set up a New Sonos System’. If you have already set up the app before, and have upgraded your Wi-Fi router, then you should be selecting the second option ‘connect to an existing system’.
- You must create a new account, or sign in to your existing account if you have created one previously. Click on continue to start the setup.
- You should next get the ‘Select your setup’ screen.
- Select the Standard setup. This is best for most Wi-Fi devices and then click on Next in the following screen.
- We have already ensured at the first step that we have the LED green light in the Sonos speaker, which means the speaker is turned on and working.
- From the ‘Connect to Power’ screen, click on Next.
- The next screen says ‘Wait for the Green flashing light’. Now, this step can take a few minutes to happen. Wait until the green light is flashing on your speaker before you go to the next step by clicking ‘Continue’.
- By this time, the controller app on your phone has already detected the Sonos speaker that you are trying to connect to the Wi-Fi. The app will start configuring the speaker.
- When you are at the screen that says, ‘Configuring Player’, you should wait until the process is finished.
- When the setup is complete, you are finally ready to add your speaker to the Wi-Fi network.
- You should arrive at the ‘Wireless Setup’ screen now. Click on Next and follow the instructions.
- You have to connect your phone to a temporary network called Sonos at this stage. Check the screen below for instructions – and simply tap on the ‘Sonos’ to connect to this network.
- Open the Wi-Fi settings from your phone. You should be able to see the list of available devices. Select Sonos from this list.
- Go back to the Sonos app and ensure that the speaker is connected to the Wi-Fi in your home network.
Step 3: Verify That The Speaker Is Working
Once you have hooked up the speaker, you need to test it to make sure it is working. Turn on all the power outlets and if you are using the Sonos Soundbar device, you should use your TV to select the speaker. The TV should not be still connected to the TV speaker.
To test if the speaker is working, you need to use the controller app from your phone. Follow these steps to control the Sonos speaker you have recently set up –
- Start by selecting the speaker where you want to play the music. The Sonos app will show you the various locations you have set up. You can click on the Room speaker that you see on the top middle of your screen, and then choose which room speaker you wish to connect to.
Open the controller app from your computer, and click on which speaker you wish to add to the Room.
You will get a list of sources for music that you can play. You can search through the list, or browse to select your playlist. Use the controller app to connect the source from the browser that you see on the top right of the screen.
When you have selected the music you wish to play, you can simply tap on it. A drop-down menu will open up, where you can select the ‘Play Now’ option. If you will be listening to this track repeatedly, you can simply tap it to add it to the list ‘Add to Sonos Favorites’. The track will automatically appear in this list from the next time for easy selection.
You Are Done!
That’s it! You have successfully connected the setup. In case you are having trouble with the setup, here’s a video guide you can follow along. The process might seem long and complicated, but it is only a one-time setup, and next time you can proceed to directly playing the music.
Play a song, add multiple songs to your playlist by checking the checkbox beside their name, the options are endless and will give you all the flexibility you need to jam out your favorite tune.
- How to Reconnect your Sonos system to a WiFi Network from to www.smarthomesounds.co.uk
- Connect Sonos to a new router or WiFi network from to: support.sonos.com
- How to reconnect Sonos speakers to a new Wi-Fi network from to: www.gearbrain.com
- How to Set Up and Connect Sonos to WiFi from to: www.support.com