A step-by-step guide to changing Alexa’s name (wake word) in the Amazon era.
Alexa, your voice-activated assistant, may be accessed through the Amazon Echo, a smart speaker. Your Amazon Echo is capable of so many different things. Playing music, creating to-do lists, setting alarms, playing audiobooks, streaming podcasts, and getting news, traffic, and weather updates are all things Alexa can do. However, you might not want to use your Echo as frequently if you don’t like reciting the name Alexa nonstop.
The Alexa application makes it simple to modify Alexa to your preferences. You may quickly switch the wake word from Alexa to one of four choices, including “Computer,” “Echo,” “Amazon,” and “Ziggy.”
- MEET ECHO DOT - Our most compact smart...
- RICH AND LOUD SOUND - Better speaker quality...
- ALEXA HELPS YOU DO MORE WITH PRIME - Listen...
- MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER - Alexa can set timers,...
- DESIGNED TO PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY – Built...
A step-by-step guide on how to modify Alexa’s (wake word). Pay close attention to the directions.
On most mobile devices, configuring the wake word is a rather simple operation.
- To begin, you must first download the Alexa app to your device.
- Launch the Alexa app on your tablet. If you’re using a computer, you can also visit alexa.amazon.com
- Locate and tap on the Devices tab in the bottom section.
- From the top, select All Devices.
- From the list, find your Echo device.
- Choose a wake word from the list below.
- Select the Alexa device’s wake word.
- At this point, you can select Save.
Note that only this specific Echo device will allow you to use the new Alexa name. On your Amazon Echo device, you can also voice-change Alexa’s name.
How to modify Alexa’s name solely with voice commands:
- To activate the speakers, say “Alexa, change my wake word.
- “I can help you alter the wake word for this device,” the virtual assistant replies. Should we do it now?”
- Answer “Yes” to begin the action.
- Alexa will go over the options with you. You have the option of selecting “Amazon,” “Computer,” “Ziggy,” or “Echo.
- Choose the option you prefer.
- When you change the wake word, “Alexa” will appear as one of the options the next time you want to change the name.
- “Okay, you can call me (wake word) on this device in a few seconds,” Alexa will say after adjusting the wake word settings.
- Try using the new name to ensure Alexa has recorded the change.
How to Change Alexa’s Answering Voice
If you’re sick of hearing the same Alexa answering voice, it’s time to switch it up. You can access a variety of languages and regional variations. In the United States, you can also change from a female to a male voice.
Steps for changing the built-in voice options
- Launch the Alexa app and navigate to the More tab.
- Select Settings, then Device Settings.
- Choose the Alexa speaker you want to modify.
- Click on the Settings gear icon.
- Select Language.
Choose your new language or languages (Alexa can be bilingual at times!). This includes a variety of dialects and accents. By changing the language to “English (United Kingdom),” for example, Alexa will have a British accent.
Return to the gear icon menu and select Alexa’s Voice to switch between male and female voices. The male option is new.
It’s important to know that only a subset of the languages is fully supported in each region, so you may lose some features if you go outside of those borders.
Activating celebrity voices on your device is easy
The default voices of Alexa can now be changed by users to those of Melissa McCarthy, Samuel L. Jackson, and Shaquille O’Neal. Some celebrity voice names are available for free, but the majority of them require a one-time fee.
If your request hasn’t been pre-programmed with an answer from the celebrity, your celebrity voices won’t respond to it. However, they will answer to basic queries like setting a timer and requesting the weather. The steps to activate celebrity voices on your Alexa device are listed below.
- Request an introduction to the desired celebrity from Alexa. For instance, one might say, “Alexa, introduce me to Melissa McCarthy.”
- Alexa will describe the function of the skill. To confirm the purchase, respond “Yes.”
Please remember to say “Alexa, enable celebrity name” to turn on the celebrity voice skill on your other Echo devices that are connected to your account.
- You will be given the option to select between the explicit and clean versions for some skills, the latter of which censors profanity. “Explicit” or “Clean version,” you say.
- State your request and then the name of the famous person. As an illustration, say, “Melissa, tell me a joke.”