Do you own a Samsung Smart Tv? You can surely connect Alexa to your Samsung smart TV if it says Alexa built-in.
- Meet Echo Dot - Our most compact smart speaker that fits perfectly into small spaces.
- Improved speaker quality - Better speaker quality than Echo Dot Gen 2 for richer and louder sound. Pair with a second Echo Dot for stereo...
- Voice control your music - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home...
- Voice control your smart home - Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices. Create routines...
However, if you are sure if your Samsung TV supports Alexa voice assistant or not, you would first like to look at the compatible Samsung Tv that works with Alexa.
Further reading: How to connect Alexa to Smart TV
Does my Samsung Tv have Alexa built-in?
If you are unsure if your Samsung Tv is Alexa built or not, check out the list below.
The Samsung Smart Tv that is Alexa built-in include:
- All 2021 Smart Tv models
- 2020 TU8000 and above, Crystal UHD TVs
- The Frame, The Serif, The Sero, The terrace TVs of 2020
- 8k and 4k QLED TV manufactured in 2020
With the above Samsung Smart TVs, you won’t need an Alexa-compatible device like Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, or Sonos One separately. The voice commands are made using the microphone on the remote.
Other Samsung TVs with Alexa functionality like talking to it hands-free (within 5 feet) include:
Samsung models that end with T i.e. Q70T, Q80T, Q90T, Q95T, LS7T, Q800T, Q900ST and Q950ST
With these Samsung TVs, you will have to make sure of an external Alexa-enabled audio device like Amazon Echo or Alexa app to connect with Alexa. You can also talk to Alexa using the microphone of your remote.
But firstly, let’s know how to connect Alexa to Samsung Smart TV (i.e., without using the Alexa app)
How to connect Alexa to Samsung Smart TV (i.e. Without using the Alexa app)
Step 1: Open the Alexa app on your TV
When setting up your TV for the first time, it asks to set up Alexa. Follow the on-screen prompts to set it up then.
If you are setting up Alexa later, open the Alexa app on your TV home screen.
Step 2: Sign in to your Amazon account
Opening it for the first time will ask you to sign in to your Amazon account.
If you have brought something from Amazon, you surely have an Amazon account. You need to just sign in with your username and password.
If you do not have an Amazon account, you can create it by following the on-screen prompts during the setup process.
Alternatively, you can scan the QR code displayed on your TV to sign in using your mobile phone. Sign in from the connected mobile phone then. The account will be signed in on Tv automatically.
If your TV shows an authorization code, you can just type in the code on the Amazon sign-in page to log in.
Step 3: Enable the Voice feature
If you want to enjoy talking to Alexa hands-free i.e., without any remote (microphone), you can enable the Voice wake-up option on your Tv.
To enable the Voice wake-up option on your Samsung Tv, follow on your TV, Settings> General > Voice. Select Alexa as your voice assistant. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Once the voice wake up is turned on, you can now talk to Alexa directly without using any other speaker.
Connecting Alexa to Samsung Smart TV using the Alexa app
When you connect Alexa to Samsung using the Alexa app, you are using an external device like an Amazon Echo to talk to Alexa.
This also works with those Samsung TVs which do not have a voice wake-up feature.
Step 1: Download Alexa and SmartThings app
- Download the Alexa app and Samsung Smart Things app on your smartphone. You can download them from Apple Store or Play Store
- Now, open the Smart Things app and log in if you already have an account. Or create a new account and then sign in.
- Do the same with the Alexa app. Open and sign in if you are using it for the first time.
Step 2: Open Smart Hub on Samsung Smart TV
- Now, go to Menu on your Samsung Smart TV by clicking the Menu button on the TV remote.
- Choose Smart Hub from the listed options.
- Click on the Samsung account and sign in (use the same username and password used on the Smart Things app).
Step 3: Connect Smart Hub with the SmartThings app
- Now, on the SmartThings app on your mobile, click on the Device option (located on the bottom entre of the screen)
- Click on Device and then on Add Device.
- Choose your Samsung Tv model from the listed models. Keep your TV powered on for better visibility. Clicking on it will connect your Samsung smart Tv to Smart Things Hub.
Step 4: Connect Alexa to the Smart Things app
- Next, return to Alexa app on your mobile phone.
- Go to the menu from the top left corner.
- Go to the Smart Home option and find Samsung Smart Things skills.
- Click on Enable to use.
- Now, you will be redirected to the Samsung SmartThings login page.
- Enter your Samsung account credentials to sign in.
- Both the Samsung SmartThings app and the Alexa app will be linked.
- You should also ensure your Alexa device i.e. Amazon Echo etc. is visible in the Devices section as an available connected device.
You can now use Alexa to control your Samsung Smart TV.
Commands to use for controlling Samsung Tv with Alexa
You have to be clear and precise with the voice commands when using Alexa on your Samsung Smart TV.
Some of the commands you can use include:
- Alexa, go to channel number/name
- Alexa, open Netflix
- Alexa, search for ‘movie name’
- Alexa, play *song* on Amazon Music
- Alexa, play *radio station name*
- Alexa, turn the volume up/down
- Alexa, play/pause the song
- Alexa, turn off/on the TV
In short, there are two ways to connect Alexa to Samsung TV, depending on your Samsung TV model.
If you have a Smart TV, you can use the Samsung SmartThings app and Alexa app. For other models (mentioned above), you can use the Samsung TV’s inbuilt voice wake-up feature.