Do you have an Alexa device at home, and you can want to connect it to Wi-Fi using the computer and not your mobile device? This means you will be controlling your Alexa by adding music, Alexa skills, and accessing all Alexa features using your computer.
- MEET ECHO DOT - Our most compact smart...
- RICH AND LOUD SOUND - Better speaker quality...
- ALEXA HELPS YOU DO MORE WITH PRIME - Listen...
- MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER - Alexa can set timers,...
- DESIGNED TO PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY – Built...
But for this, your Alexa should be first connected to Wi-Fi on the computer.
Further reading: What Is Alexa And What Does Alexa Do?
How to connect Alexa to a computer?
You can connect your Alexa device to the computer in two ways, i.e., either visiting the alexa.amazon.com on a web browser or downloading the Alexa app on Windows PC.
The steps to both the ways are down below:
As the first step, the Alexa device should be first connected to your computer. For this, you access the Alexa app through the computer browser.
Here are outlined steps for you to follow:
- Open your preferred web browser and type in alexa.amazon.com
- You will see a sign-in screen
- Enter your username and password if you already have an amazon account (your amazon shopping account will also work)
- If you do not have an existing account, click on Create a New Amazon account.
- Once you successfully sign up using your username and password, go to Settings from the left-hand menu.
- Click on Set up a new device under the Devices section on the right side menu.
- In the next step, choose the device you want to set from the list
- You need to sign in to your Amazon account again. Click on Continue
- Now, enter your sign-in details again
- Click on Continue
- Depending on your Echo device, follow the setup process.
- Your Alexa browser app will guide you through the process.
- Follow the onscreen prompts accordingly.
If your Alexa device is already set, here is how you will connect your Alexa to your computer, follow these steps:
- Open alexa.amazon.com on your computer browser
- Sign in with your amazon id
- Go to Settings from the left menu.
- Click on your device under the Devices section.
- Disconnect your Alexa device if it’s connected through Alexa mobile app.
Now, connect your Alexa device to Wi-Fi on the computer. Follow the steps below for the same.
Further reading: What Are The Best Alexa-compatible Devices?
How to connect Alexa to Wi-Fi on the computer?
To connect Alexa to Wi-Fi on the computer, your computer should be connected to Wi-Fi in the first place.
If you are using Windows 10, here is how you should ensure that your computer is connected to Wi-Fi:
- Click on the Wi-Fi network logo on the right bottom of the screen.
- At this stage, you don’t have to connect to our home Wi-Fi but to Amazon’s Wi-Fi network.
- You will see a Wi-Fi network with a format Amazon-xxx. Click on Connect to connect to such a network. If you don’t see it right away, wait for a while.
- Once connected, you hear your Alexa say, “You’ve connected. Now go back to the Alexa app”.
- Now, go to your amazon screen on the browser to complete the setup.
- On your browser, you will see, “your computer is connected to your *Alexa device name*. Tap Continue to scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks.
- At this stage, tap on Continue.
- Now, you need to connect to your home Wi-Fi. For this, the screen with the interface “select your Wi-Fi network’ will open.
- Select the Wi-Fi network you want your Alexa to be connected to. Click on the ‘Connect automatically’ button on your Wi-Fi network for the best results. Alexa takes a minute to connect to your home Wi-Fi.
- Wait for several minutes before your screen says Your Alexa device is online.
That’s it. Your Alexa device is connected to Wi-Fi on the computer now.
Now, for controlling Alexa, you either use your voice controls or keep your amazon account logged in with your computer at all times.
Connecting your Alexa with Wi-Fi on the computer is suitable if you sit on the computer at all times while you use Alexa or when you use Alexa voice commands entirely to operate your Alexa device.
Using the Alexa app to connect Alexa to Wi-Fi on a computer
Instead of using Alexa through the browser, you can also use the Alexa app for Windows to connect your Alexa to a computer and Wi-Fi.
The process is way too easy to follow and provides a better and easy way out. You just have to open the Alexa app, log in, and that’s it. The accessibility is super convenient.
To connect Alexa to Wi-Fi on a computer using the Alexa app, follow:
- Go to Windows 10 Microsoft Store. Press the Start button on Windows 10 to find Microsoft Store or just put it in the search icon.
- Type in Alexa in the Microsoft Store search bar.
- Click on Get to download the Alexa app.
- Once it’s downloaded and installed, open the Alexa app.
- It will ask you to sign in with your Amazon id. Sign in and get started.
To connect Alexa to Wi-Fi on the computer, go to Settings. Select your Alexa device under the Devices section and follow onscreen prompts to connect Alexa to Wi-Fi.
Repeat the same steps as in Method 1 i.e., while using alexa.amaxon.com.
The Alexa app is available for Windows 10 PC in selected countries like Australia, India, the U.S., Brazil, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, the UK, Germany, Ireland, etc.
Alexa for PC
Can you perform all Alexa features when connected Alexa to Pc as with Alexa mobile app? Not all, but you can perform basic features like playing music, creating shopping lists, getting the latest news, getting recipes, getting questions answered, setting up the alarm, controlling your smart home devices, and making video and voice calls.
You can do so manually or with voice commands. However, there is always an addition to these features. By the time you come across this article, a lot more capabilities would also be added to the Alexa PC app.