Certainly, there is no way yet what playlist Alexa is playing through voice commands. Users can, however, find it out manually using the Alexa app.
How to find out what playlist Alexa is playing using the Alexa app
- Meet Echo Dot - Our most compact smart speaker that fits perfectly into small spaces.
- Improved speaker quality - Better speaker quality than Echo Dot Gen 2 for richer and louder sound. Pair with a second Echo Dot for stereo...
- Voice control your music - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
- Ready to help - Ask Alexa to play music, answer questions, read the news, check the weather, set alarms, control compatible smart home...
- Voice control your smart home - Turn on lights, adjust thermostats, lock doors, and more with compatible connected devices. Create routines...
To find what playlist Alexa is playing using the Alexa app:
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device
- Click on the Play button at the bottom
- Find the ‘Recently played’ option on the screen
- You can see the playlist or radio station’s name under the first tile.
You can also find what playlist Alexa plays using the Alexa app on a web browser under the player’s history.
How to create/add a playlist on Alexa?
If you have never added a playlist to Alexa, you should try it as it makes listening to songs easy. Instead of saying, “Alexa, play some music” and listening to some random songs Alexa plays, you can set Alexa playlists on several music streaming platforms like Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, Tidal, iHeartRadio, etc., depending on the service available in your region.
To create/add a playlist on Alexa,
- You need first to add your favorite music streaming service on Alexa using the Alexa app and create or add a playlist to the Alexa app manually
- Directly create or play a playlist on Alexa using voice commands.
You may also like: Interesting Questions About Alexa That You Wonder
Adding playlist to Alexa manually
To create a new playlist on Alexa manually, you will be using the Alexa app.
On the Alexa app:
- Tap on ‘More’ at the bottom of the screen
- Tap Settings> Music & Podcasts
- Tap on ‘Link new Service’ under Services and select your favorite music streaming services you will be creating a playlist from
- Tap on ‘Enable to Use’
- Link your music streaming service account
- Follow the on-screen prompts to link it.
To set a music streaming service as a default, follow:
- Go to Settings> Music & Podcasts
- Tap on Default Services > Change
- Select the music streaming service you want to set as default now.
Now, go to the app of the music streaming music (be it Spotify, Pandora, or Amazon Music), create the playlist, and name it.
Now, when you want to play it through Alexa, just say, “Alexa, play [ Playlist name ].
On the contrary, if you are listening to random songs and you like a song and want to add it to your playlist, say, “Alexa, add this song to [ Playlist name ].
If you don’t remember your playlist’s name, you can simply set Routines for the same. Routines are an Alexa app feature that allows you to schedule many activities for the day. You can set a Routine and name with like a favorite playlist or something. Next time, you can just tell “Alexa, [name of the Routine]” to play your playlist.
Further reading: How Long Will Alexa Play Music Before Turning Off?
Adding playlist to Alexa through voice commands
You can also add or create a new playlist on Alexa through voice commands.
You can give voice commands like “Alexa, create a new playlist,” Alexa, add [song name, artist name] to my playlist”.
However, this is troublesome if you want to add many songs and don’t know the exact name of the song and artist. Also, it may take longer than necessary.
Alexa voice commands are helpful in adding ‘Currently playing’ songs to your playlist.
Some new Alexa features for music lovers
- Alexa Whisper Mode
Want Alexa to respond to you in a low voice rather than wake everyone up around you? Just say, “Alexa, turn Whisper Mode on” and it will also start answering you back in whispers.
Now, there is a party at your house, and you can’t hear Alexa. You can turn the Whisper mode off by saying, “Alexa, turn Whisper Mode off’.
- Alexa’s Adaptive Volume
Alexa’s Adaptive Volume feature allows Alexa to adjust its volume as per the surroundings. If there is no noise in the room, it lowers the volume; if the room is loud, it turns up the volume.
To set it up, just say, “Alexa, turn on the adaptive volume.” This feature is also compatible with all music streaming services.
- Play songs by moods
Don’t exactly know the song you want to hear. Just describe your mood to Alexa, and it will play a song accordingly.
For playing songs as per your moods, you can use a command like:
- Alexa, play romantic songs
- Alexa, play romantic sad music
- Alexa, play rainy songs
- Alexa, palsy classic music for sleeping
- Alexa, play meditation music
Other important Alexa commands you can try…
- Alexa, play brand new music
- Alexa, play something I haven’t heard
- Alexa, play more songs like this/that
- Alexa, shuffle my playlist
- Alexa, play the song that goes like (starts singing the song)
- Alexa, what song is this?
- Alexa, who sings this?
- Alexa, what is the top song of the year?
So, you can do a lot with Alexa when it comes to playing music. But certainly, Alexa still can’t figure out what playlist it is playing, no matter the music streaming service you are using. You have to find it out manually using the Alexa app.