Do you own an Alexa device, be it Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, or any of its exclusive range? You can use it best by playing your Apple music playlist on Alexa. Yes, the two can be linked to provide users multi-room music experience (only if you have more than one Alexa device at your home) or just enjoy listening to it on your own Alexa device.
The process of playing an Apple music playlist on Alexa is super easy and smooth.
- MEET ECHO DOT - Our most compact smart...
- RICH AND LOUD SOUND - Better speaker quality...
- ALEXA HELPS YOU DO MORE WITH PRIME - Listen...
- MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER - Alexa can set timers,...
- DESIGNED TO PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY – Built...
Things you will need:
- An Apple Music subscription
- An apple Device like an iPad, iPhone, or iPod (of course)
- An Amazon Echo or Amazon Fire TV, or any Alexa-enabled device (like Sonos speaker)
- iOS or Android device (preferably iOS users subscribe to Apple Music. However, you can do so being an Android user as well)
Set up Apple Music with Alexa
To play the Apple Music playlist on Alexa, you need first to set your Alexa with Apple Music. For this,
- Open the Alexa app on your iOS or Android device
- Tap on More at the bottom of the screen
- Tap Skills and Games
- Search for Apple Music skill on the search tab on top of the screen
- Tap on ‘Enable to Use’ once you find the correct skill.
- Now, tap on Settings to link to your Apple Music account
- Enter your username and password for your Apple Music account to sync it with the Alexa app i.e., using your Apple ID credentials
- Follow the on-screen prompts
Do you like to use more than one music streaming service? If not, you can set Apple Music as the default music service on the Alexa app, so that Alexa always plays songs from your Apple Music account only. This way, you won’t have to say, Play on ‘Apple Music’ every time.
Setting up Apple Music as the default service on the Alexa app
To set Apple Music as the default music service, follow the Alexa app:
- Tap on More at the bottom of the screen
- Tap Settings > Music & Podcasts
- Tap Default Services
- Finally, tap on Change and select Apple Music
Further reading: How To Play Music On Alexa For Free
Playing Apple music playlist on Alexa
To play an Apple music playlist on Alexa, you need to make sure you have a ready playlist on your Apple Music account and that this playlist has a particular name.
Once your Apple Music account is linked with the Alexa device, you simply have to say, “Alexa, play [Playlist name] in the living room” You need to add the name of your Alexa device if you have more than one Alexa near you.
Play Apple Music playlist on Alexa using Bluetooth
Do you not have an Apple Music subscription? No worries! You can still enjoy Apply Music playlist on Alexa, provided you have saved, downloaded, or uploaded music files to your iTunes or Apple Music apps.
If you have free songs downloaded, you can use Bluetooth to connect the Alexa device to your Apple device (where iTunes or Apple Music is downloaded).
This works only on Amazon Echo or Amazon Echo Dot as these are the only two smart speakers with Bluetooth compatibility. It may also work with Sonos Roam. Since it is a smart speaker and Bluetooth enabled.
Steps to follow:
- Keep the Bluetooth of your Apple device on and ready for pairing.
- Now, bring your Alexa device and Apple device in close proximity.
- Next, allow Alexa to pair by giving a command, “Alexa, connect to my iPhone/iPad”
- If it works, Alexa will answer back with, “iPhone/iPad connected to [name of Alexa device].
Note: If Alexa isn’t able to connect to your Apple device, try again by mentioning the full name of your Apple device. You can also disconnect other accessories connected to your Apple device through Bluetooth, like AirPods.
- Now, on your Apple device, go to the iTunes or Apple Music app where the playlist is stored.
- Open and play your preferred playlist.
- The songs will automatically start playing through the Alexa device if everything goes well.
Note: it is suggested to control the volume using the source device to keep it all balanced.
When you want to disconnect the Apple device, just say ‘Alexa, discount from [apple device name],” and it will answer back ‘iPhone/iPad disconnected’.
Play Apple podcasts on Alexa
If you have linked your Apple Music account to the Alexa app, you can also play Apple podcasts on Alexa.
Additionally, you have to enable the Apple podcasts to skill on Alexa. For this:
Step 1: On the Alexa app, Go to Settings> Music & Podcasts
Step 2: Tap Link New Service.
Step 3: Select the Apple podcasts button
Step 4: When the skill is opened, tap on Enable to Use.
Step 5: Link your account to Alexa, if prompted
Apple podcasts with Alexa are available in selected regions like India, Ireland, Italy, Canada, Germany, France, Austria, Australia, Mexico, Japan, New Zealand, Spain, the UK, and the US.
To play Apple podcasts on Alexa, say, “Alexa, play [podcast name] on Apple Podcasts.”
Playing an Apple music playlist on Alexa is easy. You just need to activate the Apple Music skill on the Alexa app, connect your Alexa app to your Apple Music account, and that’s it.
Any of your playlists on Apple Music can now be played on an Alexa device.