If you are a fan of YouTube music, you must be delighted that your favorite music can now be played on the Sonos speaker. Whether it is Sonos Beam, Sonos One, or Sonos Move that you own, music can flow from YouTube and fill your room through the speakers using the Sonos app. And some speakers even let you stream music over AirPlay. Let us know everything about streaming YouTube music here.
- Brilliant sound - get rich, room-filling sound with the all-new Sonos One SL, and control it with the Sonos app, Apple Airplay 2, and...
- For every room - The compact design fits just about any space. Put it on your kitchen countertop, or tuck it away on your office bookshelf....
- Apple Airplay 2 - stream sound directly from your iPhone or iPad and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- Stereo sound with two - Pair with Sonos One or another One SL in the same room for stereo separation and more detailed sound. Use a pair...
- Build your system - easily connect Sonos speakers in different rooms over Wi-Fi to create a home sound system that brings every room and...
Further reading: 37 Tips, Tricks Of Sonos Speaker: Maybe You Don’t Know
YouTube Music: An Intro
YouTube Music replaced Google Play Music when it was first launched in 2018 as a new music streaming service. Since then, it has become a popular service that streams songs, albums, playlists, live songs, videos, and much more. This is a great place to unearth new music and trending in the music world.
The free version lets you listen to music, but there will be interruptions by ads often. You can also choose the YouTube Music Premium tier with zero ads, enables download of songs, and provides background listening on your mobile device. You can even upload your albums and songs to the YouTube Music Library and thus create a personal music collection.
YouTube gives a lot of importance to its discovery features as it affirms that music is easier to explore with YouTube Music. Apart from official songs, the service also showcases live performances, music videos, remixes, and covers.
An interesting thing with YouTube Music is that the home screen keeps changing with the latest updates. It gives recommendations based on your location, listening habits, and browsing patterns.
Adding YouTube Music To Sonos
The first step for streaming YouTube music to your speaker is installing the Sonos app and logging in. Here are the steps listed.
- Install the Sonos app. Tap More > Add Music Services > YouTube Music > Add to Sonos.
- Here you will be asked if you have an account and have subscribed to YouTube Music. If you don’t have an account, you may first sign up.
- After setting YouTube music as a service, go to your device’s web browser.
- You will be asked to enter the code provided. Once this is done, tap Next.
- Select the Google account to be used for YouTube Music and click Allow.
- Your account will be authorized, and you will be notified of this.
- Open the Sonos app and give a name for YouTube Music.
You may also like: How To Play Your Own Music On Sonos?
Playing YouTube Music on Sonos
Playing YouTube music on Sonos is really easy once the sign-up process is completed. Open the Sonos app and go to the YouTube music section. Here, you will see five categories: Library, Recommended, New Releases, Top Charts, and Mixtape. You can play songs from either of these categories.
Playing Youtube Music If There Is No Subscription
Today, there are so many streaming services that many find it unnecessary to subscribe to YouTube Music. The best thing is that you can still stream the free music from YouTube to your speaker. But this can be done only if you connect Sonos and iPhone with AirPlay.
Having an Apple device like iPhone and iPad makes it easy to use AirPlay to stream music wirelessly, similar to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Most of the Sonos speakers support AirPlay 2. But you cannot see the AirPlay 2 logo in the app; it will be visible only in the Safari version of YouTube.
Here are the steps to play YouTube music on Sonos through AirPlay 2.
- Check if your device and the Sonos speaker are in the same network.
- Open the YouTube video you wish to play.
- Open the control panel in iPhone
- Force Touch the music control box and press the AirPlay icon. You will see a list of speakers to choose from. Tap the desired one to see both the devices connecting. Music will now play through the speaker.
Playing Youtube Music On Sonos Using Bluetooth
There are two Sonos speakers – Sonos Roam and Sonos Move – that are Bluetooth enabled. This gives them an added advantage of streaming music using Bluetooth skills. Sonos Roam would be a better option as it can be grouped with any other Sonos speaker once the audio is synced over Bluetooth.
Further reading: The Best NAS Drive for Sonos
Frequently Asked Questions
Will YouTube Music offer a free trial to Sonos customers?
There is a one-month free trial offered by YouTube Music with a form of payment. This can be availed by those users who have not used YouTube Music or YouTube Premium trial in the last 12 months.
What subscription level do I need to use YouTube Music on Sonos?
It is possible to add a YouTube Music Premium or YouTube Music Free account to Sonos. Premium users have the edge over others as they can avail all the features discussed above. But the YouTube Music Free users can listen to their uploaded albums and songs on Sonos speakers.
Where is YouTube Music available?
YouTube Music is available in an array of countries, including American Samoa, Aruba, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Bermuda, Bolivia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, French Guyana, French Polynesia, France, Germany, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, Turks and Caicos Islands, UAE, Ukraine, the United Kingdom, the United States, Uruguay, US Virgin Islands, and Venezuela.
Even if you have other streaming services with millions of songs on offer, it doesn’t hurt to listen to YouTube Music on and off. There is no doubt that Sonos speakers will enhance your audio experience when music from YouTube is streamed.