Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 wireless speakers are absolutely beautiful and have fantastic sound, and they are especially well known for their ease of use and reliability. Even still, sometimes you might have problems, and if nothing you’ve tried has resolved the issue it might be time to factory reset your Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 speaker – an easy process which can fix nearly any problem.
In this article I will offer very simple but complete step-by-step instructions for how to reset a Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 Bluetooth wireless speaker..
First we’ll cover the basic steps, which should help you perform a full factory reset of your Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6, then we’ll discuss some reasons why you might want to reset, and finally go over some basic Onyx Studio 6 troubleshooting in case you are still having problems.
How To Reset Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 Speakers: Step by Step Instructions
By following these 4 basic steps you should be able to successfully do a full factory reset on your Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 Bluetooth wireless speaker.
First, make sure your Onyx Studio 6 is powered on, by pressing the power button (on the front of the speaker, just below the handle) until you hear a tone
Next, press and hold the Bluetooth button and the Volume Up (+) button at the same time for a couple of seconds until you hear a tone and the speaker turns itself off, at which point the factory reset is complete – both of these buttons are also on the front of the speaker, to the left and the right of the power button respectively
You may now turn your Onyx Studio 6 back on, and you will need to reconnect your speaker to any Bluetooth devices you use – phone, PC, tablet, music player, etc
Please check out our article on How To Pair Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 Speakers
You will also need to re-enter any of your settings or customization on your speaker and/or HK Connect mobile phone app
Why Reset Harman Kardon Wireless Speakers?
A full factory reset of Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 Bluetooth wireless speakers can solve a lot of problems you might be having, and so it is recommended to reset yours if:
- You can’t get it to connect to your PC, phone, tablet or other device. Again, you may also want to check out our guide on How To Pair Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 Speakers
- Your speaker will pair with your device, but you keep losing the connection
- You are having problems charging your speaker, or even powering it on
- There are problems with sound – stuttering, delays (like between sound and video), gaps or stoppages, any distortion or strange sounds, or no sound at all
After you factory reset your Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 you will need to reconnect the speaker with your phone, PC, tablet and/or other devices, and you might also need to re-enter certain settings and preferences in the HK app, but these aren’t difficult processes, and so a reset is highly recommended if you are having recurring problems that you can’t quite figure out how to fix.
Basic Troubleshooting of Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 Speakers
If the factory reset of your HK Onyx Studio 6 wireless speaker seems to have worked, and you’re still having the same problems with power and/or charging, with connection or with sound, you might want to do a little basic troubleshooting.
- Make sure your speaker and device are turned on and sufficiently charged
- Make sure the device’s Bluetooth is turned on, and that it is not locked or in Flight mode
- Remember that your speaker and device have to be in range of each other – this can be several hundred feet, but physical obstructions and interference can significantly reduce the range
- Make sure you are actually playing something – music, a movie, an audiobook or any other audio
- Check the volume controls on your Onyx Studio 6, your device and also its media player, making sure they are all turned up at least a bit
- Make sure your Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 6 speaker is not actively paired to another device, or your device is not actively paired to other headphones, speakers or anything else
- Try un-pairing and then re-pairing your speaker and device
- Power down your speaker and turn it back on
- Restart your PC or phone
- If all else fails, including the factory reset, you may need to contact the Harman Kardon Online Support Page
And finally, if you’ve arrived at this article, but you actually have a different Harman Kardon Bluetooth wireless speaker – that is, not a Onyx Studio 6, but a different model – you can go to our more general article: How To Reset Harman Kardon Speakers: A Simple Guide.