Controlling the temperature of the house is now at your fingertips with the Nest Thermostat. But what if it is under your voice control as well? Yes, the Nest Thermostat can be under your voice command now if you connect it to your Alexa device.
- MEET ECHO DOT - Our most compact smart...
- RICH AND LOUD SOUND - Better speaker quality...
- ALEXA HELPS YOU DO MORE WITH PRIME - Listen...
- MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER - Alexa can set timers,...
- DESIGNED TO PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY – Built...
Google Nest devices are compatible with the Alexa system and can be controlled with the help of Amazon Echo at ease. All you need to do is connect the two devices or connect multiple Google Nest devices with the Amazon echo and go on with the voice commands.
Further reading: What Are The Best Alexa-compatible Devices?
Can The Nest Thermostat Be Connected To Alexa?
As already mentioned, you can now easily connect the Amazon Echo device to most nest devices, including the Nest Thermostat. The other Nest devices such as Nest Video Doorbells, Nest Cameras are also compatible with Alexa, and you can connect them to use a voice-command system. However, the Nest home security system is yet to have the feature to get connected to Alexa. As of now, it can be controlled with the help of the Nest app only.
How To Connect The Nest Thermostat To Alexa?
If you wish to control the temperatures of your room with voice commands, you need to get the Alexa connected to your Nest Thermostat. It follows a few simple steps as mentioned below:
- Install the Amazon Alexa App from the Google PlayStore or App Store if you do not have it already.
- Once installed, open the devices tab on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- You will see a plug sign on the top right corner of the screen, click on it.
- Click on the ‘Add device‘ option.
- Click on ‘Thermostat‘.
- You will have to click on ‘Google Nest‘.
- Now you will have to download the Google Nest App from the Play Store or App Store.
- You will have to enable the Google Nest Skill.
- Next, you will have to log in to your Google account and let Alexa and Google Nest connect and collect the information.
- Amazon Alexa will need access to the Google Account.
- Click on the ‘Discover Devices‘ option.
- Select the ‘Nest Thermostat‘ option available on the screen.
How do I use the Nest Thermostat with Alexa?
Some of the simplest commands that you can use with the Nest Thermostat are as follows:
- You can ask about the room temperature.
- You can set a target temperature for the room.
- You can ask Alexa to increase or decrease the temperature of the specific room.
- You can switch the mode of your thermostat with the help of Alexa’s voice commands.
- Changing the name of the thermostat is also possible with voice commands.
You can also have a couple of Nest Thermostats in the same way. So while controlling these, you will have to mention the name of the room followed by the command to get the work done.
You may also like: Does Nest Yale Lock work with Alexa?
What Are The Modes Available On The Nest Thermostat?
The Nest Thermostat comes with 5 basic modes. They are explained as below:
It will only heat the room to a certain degree as specified by you. The cooling will not start until it reaches the Safety temperature. The thermostat will maintain the scheduled temperature or the temperature that is manually set by you.
It will cool your room and not start heating until the Safety temperature is reached. This mode will try and maintain the scheduled temperature or the temperature that has been specified by you manually.
In this mode, the thermostat will try and keep the temperature of the room within a certain range specified by you. The scheduled temperatures will be maintained as the thermostat automatically switches between the heat and cool modes. The mode is specifically useful for climates which is neither too hot nor too cool. It can also be used for climates that keep fluctuating very often.
In the off mode, the thermostat will try, and maintain your Safety temperature alone and not do anything more. In this mode, it will not meet any scheduled temperatures. You will have to change the model if you need the device to maintain a specific temperature manually.
In this mode, the thermostat will either cool or heat to maintain the Eco temperature range. The mode will help you in changing to eco-friendly energy-saving modes in no time.
You need to understand that each of these modes has its schedule temperatures. If you need a specific set of temperatures, decide which model will be the best choice and go ahead with it.
How Do I Make Sure That Alexa Finds My Nest Device?
At times after trying multiple times, you may find that Alexa is not able to connect the Nest device. What do you do then? In such a situation ensure the following:
- Ensure that your Alexa is connected to a powerful Wi-Fi system.
- You will have to make sure that the ‘Nest Skill‘ option is enabled on the device.
- Adding Alexa to the Nest Account is important. Until that is done, the next device will not be detectable by Alexa.
You will have to ensure that both Alexa and the Nest device apps have connected. Otherwise, the whole purpose of using voice commands for your Nest Thermostat with the help of Alexa will come to standstill.
Similar to many other features, you can now use voice commands for your Thermostat as well. You can increase, decrease temperatures, change modes, device settings, etc. It makes temperature control easy and life convenient for you. What more can you ask for when you have everything along with the temperature of the room under your voice command? Connect the Nest Thermostat with Alexa and have a good time living in an ambient room, command the temperature control of your room. No more fussing over remote and other modes of controlling thermostats.