No, you can connect Sonos Beam to TV wirelessly using Wi-Fi. There are no workaround procedures as well.
What is Sonos Beam?
- Enjoy vibrant bass, crystal clear dialogue, and a panoramic soundstage.
- Experience a 3D surround sound effect with Dolby Atmos.
- Stream music, radio, podcasts, and audiobooks from all your favorite services when the TV is off.
- Control with the Sonos app, your TV remote, Apple AirPlay 2, and your voice using Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Breeze through setup with only two cables, step-by-step guidance from the Sonos app, and smart Trueplay tuning. Easily expand your Sonos...
Sonos Beam is a soundbar for smart TV by the trendy brand Sonos. Sonos is known for introducing the world to multi-room music functionality.
You can control it with your voice with voice assistants like Alexa and Google Assistant. You can choose to control it through the Sonos app that works as its manual remote.
Further, it also features Speech Enhancement, Wi-Fi, Apple Airplay 2 compatibility, and a lot more.
The ultimate cinematic experience uses 4 full-range woofers, one tweezer, 3 passive radiators, adjustable bass, 5 class D digital amplifiers, and 5 far-field microphones.
Setting Up Sonos Beam Through Sonos App
Before connecting to Sonos Beam to Beam wirelessly or not, it is essential to set it up first (if it’s new). Here is how you can setup Sonos Beam:
- Open the Sonos app on any of your devices (downloaded and updated to the latest version)
- Tap on Set up a new System and then sign in to your Sonos account
Go to Settings > System (if you want to add Sonos Beam to an existing system).
- Tap on Add to add your new product or do as promoted. For instance, in the case of the Sonos Controller 1 app, you will have to follow Continue> Set up products
After following as promoted, you Sonos Beam will be ready to be connected to the TV. You cannot connect your Sonos Beam to TV wirelessly. However, you can control it wirelessly.
Controlling Sonos Beam Wirelessly
You can control your Sonos Beam connected to the TV wirelessly by setting up voice assistants like Alexa and Google Assistant.
With this, you will control the TV volume and turn it on and off with your voice. It should also be noted that this only works when your Sonos Beam is connected to Tv through HDMI ARC input of your TV and your TV support HDMI CEC.
HDMI CEC or consumer Electronics Control is a feature possessed by modern TVs that allows it to lip-sync the audio with the video. HDMI CEC is named differently in different TV brands. For instance, LG labels it as SimpLink, Samsung as Anynet+, Sony as BRAVIA Sync, etc.
The voice commands also won’t work if you have connected your Sonos Beam to Tv via the optical audio adapter.
You may also like: Does Sonos Beam Have Bluetooth?
Connecting Sonos Beam to TV wirelessly
Can Sonos Beam connect to the TV wirelessly? Unfortunately, no, there is no way you can connect Sonos beam to TV wirelessly.
If you are not particular about connecting Sonos Beam to TV wirelessly, here is how you can connect Sonos beam to TV otherwise.
1. Through HDMI ARC
This medium will work if your TV supports HDMI ARC. HDMI ARC is usually the fourth HDMI port found at the back of your TV. It will always be mentioned which of the following HDMI port supports HDMI ARC.
It is easy to connect now. All you need is the HDMI cable sold with the Sonos ARC itself. Use one end of this cable and insert it in the HDMI ARC port of the TV and the other end to the HDMI ARC port of the Sonos Beam.
Sonos Beam only supports and not HDMI eARC, unlike Sonos Arc.
2. Through An Optical Audio Adapter
If your TV is older and does not support HDMI ARC, you will have to make use of an optical audio adapter to connect Sonos Beam to the TV.
Simply, put one end of the optical audio adapter in the optical digital out port at the back of the TV and another in the optical digital in port at the back of Sonos Beam. The optical audio adapter is also sold along with the Sonos Beam.
3. Through Converter Device
This is a workaround to connect your Sonos beam to TV if both of the above options don’t work for you.
This will involve an extra investment of buying a convertor device (if you don’t have it already). This convertor device allows connecting one device to another by acting as a mediator in between.
For instance, if your Tv supports HDMI, you can use an ‘HDMI to HDMI arc convertor device’ to connect it to Sonos Beam. Type in the same keywords, and you will find many similar devices.
Thus, you can connect your TV to this convertor first using an HDMI cable and then connect this converter to your Sonos Beam using the cable that came along with it (Sonos Beam).
This convertor device will have at least two ports, i.e. HDMI and HDMI ARC port, meeting the connection requirements.
However, the only problem with this arrangement it is a bit tricky and uncertain. You may or may not experience an audio lagging problem with this setup. It is worth giving a try anyway.
You may also like: How To Connect Sonos Beam To LG TV
Setting Alexa to Sonos Beam
Setting Alexa to Sonos Beam will make it easier for you to control your TV through voice. To do so, follow:
- Open the Sonos app.
- Go to Settings > Voice > Services and Voice > Add a voice assistant > Amazon Alexa.
- Sign in to your Sonos account when prompted
- Tap on Add to Sonos.
- Now, select the device you want to set up Alexa with. In this case, Sonos Beam
- Finally, tap on Add Amazon Alexa
- Now, you will have to sign in to your Amazon account.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and go to the Alexa app when asked to
- Link the music services if you want
- Return to the Sonos app to complete the process.
Similarly, you can add Google Assistant as your voice assistant for Sonos Beam as well.
There is no possibility in which you can connect Sonos Beam to any TV wirelessly. You can set Fire TV stick with Sonos Beam, though.