Outdoor Alexa refers to Alexa devices that can be used outdoors. While there are many Alexa-enabled smart devices in the market, not all of them are capable of being used outside.
As technology advancements continue to be made, more and more devices are becoming ‘smart’. This means that they can be controlled and operated using voice commands. The most popular device of this kind is the Amazon Echo, which comes with its own virtual assistant, Alexa. However, there is one area where the Echo falls short – outdoor use. Is it possible to create an outdoor Alexa? Let’s explore.
What is an outdoor Alexa?
An outdoor Alexa is a smart device that has the following properties:
- Alexa-enabled voice assistant
The first prerequisite is an outdoor Alexa should have an in-built Alexa as a voice assistant. Before buying any Alexa speaker, one should know the difference between Alexa compatible speaker and an in-built Alexa smart speaker. Always go for a smart speaker with an in-built Alexa.
- Superb high-pitch voice quality
When using a smart speaker outside, the sound quality should be loud and vibrant such that the sound does not fade away with the surroundings. Features like automatic Trueplay and 360-degree loud sound are helpful.
- Waterproof and dust resistant
An outdoor Alexa should necessarily be capable of withstanding all sorts of weather. They should at least be waterproof to a certain degree. A dust-resistant and shock-resistant outdoor Alexa is a plus.
- Easily portable
An outdoor Alexa is portable. It can easily be placed by your poolside, mounted on the wall, or carried in a bag when traveling. It solely depends on its purpose.
Any smart device can be labeled an outdoor Alexa if it fulfills these qualities. No matter the purpose, be it traveling, pool parties, or surveillance, here are some of the best outdoor Alexa in the market.
Why you should take your Alexa devices outside
You can see and hear what’s going on outside by using Echo.
If you don’t have a video doorbell like Ring, you could put an Amazon Echo Show outside so you can see who is outside. You’ll also need an Echo Show inside your home, but you might want to turn off the camera so that no one else can see what you’re doing.
For the backyard, you can use it to keep an eye on the kids or the dog if they are outside or to keep track of anything else that might happen outside. You can even move an Echo outside for a short time to use it as a two-way speaker, then bring it back inside before going to bed.
Say “Alexa, drop in on [name of device]” and say “drop in on [name of device].”
Your smart outdoor devices can be controlled
If you have smart lights outside, you might not want to walk into the house to change them. Instead, you can just ask Alexa to do it for you if you have an Amazon Echo on your front porch.
Also, if you have a smart lock and accidentally lock yourself out of your house without your phone, Alexa can open it for you. Keep in mind that you’ll need to know the voice code for security. This is so that no one other than the people you live with can get into your lock.
To set up a new smart device, open the Alexa app, tap Devices, and then tap the plus sign in the upper right corner. Tap “Add Device,” choose the thing you want to set up, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
You can listen to podcasts, music, and audiobooks.
Having an Echo speaker outside can make your listening experience so much better, whether you’re sipping coffee on the front porch while listening to an audiobook or playing your favorite music playlist. If you have an Echo Studio, you don’t have to worry about your phone’s battery dying from playing music, and the sound is better.
Doing yard work and want to listen to the same music? Connect your Bluetooth wireless headphones to your Amazon Echo. To start, open the Alexa app, tap Devices, and then tap the plus sign in the upper right corner. Scroll down and tap Headphones after you tap “Add Device.” Alexa will start looking for devices that are ready to connect, so make sure your headphones are on and ready to go. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish setting up.
If you want to change what you’re listening to, you’ll have to be near your speaker. However, Alexa will respond through your headphones, not the speaker, as long as they’re connected. Say “Alexa, disconnect” when you’re ready to stop using it.
Further reading: What Is Alexa And What Does Alexa Do?
Best Outdoor Alexa in market
Some of the smart speakers that can be called outdoor Alexa include:
Amazon Echo Show
- Alexa can show you even more - With a 10.1" HD screen that’s designed to move with you, video calls, recipes, and shows are always in...
- Stay in frame - Video call friends and family or take a picture while the 13MP camera with auto-framing and motion keeps you front and...
- Smart home made simple - Set up compatible Zigbee and Matter devices without a separate hub. Ask Alexa to show you security cameras, control...
- Take a look around when you’re away - Securely access the built-in camera to remotely monitor your home anytime with the Alexa app or...
- So much entertainment - Ask Alexa to play your favorite shows, music, and podcasts from Prime Video, Netflix, Amazon Music, Spotify, and...
Amazon Echo Show can be used as an outdoor Alexa for keeping a watch on your kids and pets playing outside. However, this is only possible when you have two Echo shows, one kept indoors and the other kept outside. It can act as a video doorbell or as a CCTV camera.
If you don’t know yet, Echo Show is an Amazon Alexa device with a screen. You can temporarily use an Echo Show outside while spending time beside the pool and take it inside at the end of the day. Users can also drop in calls to communicate with their Echo Show inside and outside the house.
However, make sure you never leave an Echo Show unattended outside. Someone can drop in through Echo Show kept outside, which can hamper the safety of your home. When used carefully, Echo Show makes up a great outdoor Alexa device.
- PREMIUM SOUND – Rich, detailed sound that automatically adapts to any room. Supports lossless HD audio available on select streaming...
- VOICE CONTROL YOUR MUSIC – Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, SiriusXM, and more. HD requires a compatible music...
- SMART HOME HUB – Built-in hub to voice control compatible lights, locks, and sensors. Easily set up compatible Zigbee and Matter devices...
- ALEXA IS READY TO HELP – Set timers, reminders, and alarms. Alexa answers questions like "Alexa, what time is it?"
- START YOUR ROUTINES WITH MOTION – Turn on compatible lights, play your Flash Briefing, or turn on the coffee maker when you walk into the...
Amazon Echo can also be used as an outdoor Alexa speaker. Amazon Echo has a decent voice quality suitable for outdoor family gatherings, if not for big parties. It can be mounted on the wall on the patio or anywhere with a presence of shade.
It cannot withstand harsh conditions but works well when placed directly away from sunlight and rain. Amazon Echo is a great outdoor Alexa when chilling on your own by your in-house pool or sunbathing.
- Stream music and more over WiFi, and enjoy easy control with the Sonos app, Apple AirPlay 2, Amazon Alexa, and Google Assistant.
- Use Bluetooth when you take this waterproof, lightweight, and durable speaker on the go.
- Experience astonishingly clear and perfectly balanced sound with automatic Trueplay tuning.
- Get up to 10 hours of continuous play time, and recharge with the included USB-C cable and any 7.5W (5V / 1.5A or 2.1A) or higher USB power...
- Create a multiroom sound system with other Sonos speakers and enjoy music, TV, and more all around your home.
Sonos Roam is one of the best outdoor Alexa speakers. Sonos Roam is specially made to be used for its portability, Bluetooth functionality, and inbuilt Alexa, making it a perfect outdoor Alexa. The voice quality of Roam is superb, like any other Sonos smart speaker.
It is also waterproof, dust-resistant, and fall resistant, making it perfect for pool parties or traveling. With 10 hours of battery life and automatic Trueplay, Roam can adjust its voice quality depending on where it is kept. You can pair it with your device or home Wi-Fi as per convenience. It is made to withstand tough conditions and can be kept immersed in water for 30 minutes, making it rugged enough to face every type of weather and terrain.
It can also be connected to other Sonos speakers like Sonos Move. When throwing a pool party or using it outside, you can elevate its volume by combining two or more Sonos speakers.
- Get brilliant sound anywhere with the weatherproof and drop-resistant Move. Control with your voice, the Sonos app, and Apple AirPlay 2 at...
- Experience surprisingly deep bass, a wide soundscape, and automatic Trueplay tuning that perfectly balances the sound for where you are and...
- Stream over WiFi and connect Move to the rest of your Sonos system at home. Switch to Bluetooth when you're away and offline.
- With an IP56 rating, Move stands up to humidity, rain, snow, dust, salt spray, UV rays, and extreme heat and cold.
- With an IP56 rating, Move stands up to humidity, rain, snow, dust, salt spray, UV rays, and extreme heat and cold.
Sonos Move is a beast if you are looking for powerful and earth-shattering voice quality in an outdoor Alexa.
Sonos Move is also water resistant and capable of playing for 11 hours continuously, making it perfect for midnight parties. Sonos Move can be used outdoors by wall mounting at the right place. It is shock absorbent and capable of withstanding weathers like rain, snow, humidity, sun, and extreme temperature drops. The best part is it has inbuilt Alexa.
It is equipped with two class D amplifiers, one downward-firing tweezer, and one mid-woofer, making it a true loudspeaker.
Bose portable smart
- All-in-one: The most versatile smart speaker from Bose; a portable Bluetooth speaker, a home speaker, and a voice control speaker with 360...
- Portability: Grab the handle and take this lightweight (just over 2 lbs) speaker wherever you go out of the house, or move it with you from...
- Rugged and ready: This portable speaker has a durable design, battery life of up to 12 hours, and a water-resistant IPX4 rating for all...
- Bluetooth speaker: Outside Wi-Fi range, use it as a portable Bluetooth speaker and control it with your mobile phone or tablet to listen to...
- Smart speaker: Within Wi-Fi range, control the speaker with your voice and use it as an Amazon Alexa speaker or your Google Assistant...
Bose portable smart can also be used outdoors and as an inbuilt Alexa, making it perfect as an outdoor Alexa. It is water resistant to the extent that it can withstand rain splashes. The voice quality is superb, with 360-degree sound and powerful bass.
It’s not drop-resistant but can be used outdoors for a while, spending time in the pool or sunbathing.
Bose Soundlink Revolve+
- Delivers deep, loud, jaw dropping sound with True 360 degree coverage
- Built-in mic for speakerphone to take clear conference or personal calls out loud with a wireless range of approximately 30 feet.
- Flexible fabric handle makes it easy to grab and go; seamless aluminum body is durable and water resistant (IPX4)
- Enjoy up to 16 hours of play time from a long-lasting, rechargeable, lithium-ion battery
- Wireless Bluetooth pairing with voice prompts allows you to easily take calls and access your phone’s virtual assistant — hands free
Bose Soundlink Revolve+ is tougher than its counterparts and another possible outdoor Alexa speaker. It has built-in Alexa and 360 powerful sound, loud enough to be used outdoors. It is water resistant and has a more durable construction.
With 12 hours of battery life and tough durability, the speaker is made to be used outdoors without worry. Not sure if it can be mounted on the wall, but it can be kept by the poolside or on the patio while enjoying the garden or balcony.
Do they make an Alexa for outside?
Alexa can now be used outside as well. Proofing changed this original Echo Dot (4th generation) so that it can now be used outside. Alexa from Amazon made it possible for voice assistants to be used in our homes. Echo can now be used in the garden as well.
Can you connect Alexa to speakers that are outside?
But don’t worry, you can connect your Dot to an external speaker or pair it with a Bluetooth speaker to make the sound louder. (You can set up an external speaker with almost anything that works with Alexa, but the Dot really needs it.) Let’s talk about the steps for each choice.
Does Amazon Alexa work in the rain?
If you want to buy an Echo Dot speaker, you may be wondering if it’s waterproof and if it has an IP rating. After all, with the right parts, it can be used as a portable speaker. But the short answer is no. The Amazon Echo Dot can’t be used in water.
To answer, yes, there are many outdoor Alexa speakers. The outdoor Alexa speakers can keep you company if you are throwing a pool party, having a picnic, or love to carry a speaker with you while traveling/adventure.